Saturday, June 18, 2011

Team Effort

This morning I arrived at the shop early to get some computer work done and heard the beeping of the answering machine.  I admit, i rarely listen to the messages  because i work the afternoon and evening shifts and others are here to open.  I expected a salesperson trying to sell me something I don't want or need but instead had a lovely message from a woman who visited our shop yesterday.  She left a wonderful message about the great experience she had shopping here and raved about the person who helped her select needles and answer some questions about lace knitting.   I was not the one who helped her yesterday but I know who did and I know she always offers customer service that is well above what is experienced in most businesses today. 

As the shop owner I am here 5 days a week for part of the day, and do most of the ordering and make the "big decisions."  I could not do what I do with out the FABULOUS team of ladies who make up the "yarngirls of Uncommon Threads."  I am so blessed to work with an amazing group of talented knitters and crocheters who seem to truly love to be in here and help customers with their projects.  I do not feel like they are my employees but my friends.  I often say to customers that I am probably the "least talented knitter" here, and I am really not kidding.  Each "yarngirl" has unique talents and skills that make her an integral part of our team.  From arranging window displays to website design each has something special to add to the mix.  My husband John has his own business and has worked with "foundry employees" for over 30 years and he is always amazed at the wonderful crew we have working here.  i hear him tell people how the girls often stop in to sit and knit when they are not scheduled to work.  We have even had regular customers put down their needles to help customers when we are busy. 

I frequently tell customers that " I need to sell yarn and needles to keep the shop open , however I love to have a group of women (we would welcome male knitters, just don't see them too often) gathered around the table chatting and knitting.   Please grab your needles and stop in for a visit, no purchase necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment